Charles Dickens Rare Books: Great Expectations

by AndreChevalier on March 12, 2012 · Children's rare books, Rare English Literature

Charles Dicken's Great ExpectationsCharles Dickens is considered to be one of the greatest English writers of all times and certainly the greatest English novelist of the Victorian period. He wrote many books and many of his first editions are among the rarest books in the world. His most well known novels are: A Christmas Carol; Great Expectations; Oliver Twist; David Copperfield; A Tale of Two Cities; Hard Times; The Pickwick Papers and Bleak House.

Charles John Huffam Dickens, was born on February 7th,  1812 in Landport Portsmouth, England and died on June 9th 1870. Married to Catherine Thompson in April of 1836, had ten children and then separated in 1858. He travelled twice from England to the USA, in 1842 and 1867, and this exposure to the US society had affected his way of thinking and influenced his work. He published his first novel A Dinner at Popular Walk, in 1833 in the London periodical, Monthly Magazine and enjoyed fame and popularity during his lifetime which was deeply rooted in London’s picturesque gothic romance. His poetic, excessively ornate writing style seemed to spawn from spending time idealizing the characters he brought to life.  It was not until the 20th century however, that his work was acknowledged and appreciated by critics and readers alike, as his popularity and fame climaxed.

He published most of his work serially in monthly publications; a form that enabled broader availability and managed to reach all classes of people. Great Expectations (1860-61) and Master Humphrey’s Clock (1840-41) were the only two novels not published in monthly parts. They were originally published in weekly parts. Every four or five weeks the leaves of text were gathered and made up into a single part each bound creating the monthly issue and ultimately used to complete the whole that was bound in three volumes. This weekly format is the scarcest in commerce. Imagine, this would entail securing more than 20 fragile periodicals bound together to complete a set and then having survived, so far, the factor of time for at least 150 years!

Luckily for Great Expectations, in July 1861, the month before the final weekly issues were released, 1000 copies of the complete series were published by London Chapman and Hall. This is presently identified as the first edition, first impression release that commands six figures in US dollars.  An edition of 1000 copies on top of the surviving periodical collections is considered limited but still sizably significant. Unfortunately for Dicken’s rare book collectors, the majority of these copies were purchased by libraries in England and suffered the normal handling and library marking loss. Antiquarian book dealers seeking the big payoff that the complete set had to offer scrambled to marry volumes from distinct impressions and even editions. This practice has an adverse effect on pricing. Proper assessment and authenticity of the set is crucial for a smart, no regrets sizable investment.

An authors’ signature, is another attribute that can significantly contribute to the uniqueness and ultimate value of the rare book. Even though I have not come across any signed copies of Great Expectations offered for sale,   Dicken’s signature is quite the prize. It is listed among the top 10 most valuable author signatures, and its existence on any of Dickens’s works has the potential to boost its value considerably.

Our price tracking of Dicken’s works through the Rare Book Sale Monitor, has shown for the most part a relatively constant level performance during the last few years. As 2012 brought the celebration of the 200th birthday of Charles Dickens, it should be interesting to see whether it will also be the year to bring a higher demand for his rare books. As numerous activities to commemorate this very special anniversary are carried out worldwide, collector awareness and inspiration of the importance of his work should be expected to rise.

About the author

Article by Andre Chevalier. You can connect with Andre Chevalier on Google+

{ 86 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel May 1, 2013 at 2:17 am

Hi. I recently bought Great Expectations by Charles Dickens in fair to good condition at a yardsale and am wondering how much it is worth? Now I do understand that without seeing the book, it is difficult to give an accurate price but am wondering if you can help me accomplish this in some way. The copyright page is missing so it makes it hard to determine if it is in fact first addition or not. It does have writing on the inside “from Margie to Charles..December 25, 1900″ Im not sure if this helps at all or not. If you could help me, Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks Rachel

Admin May 2, 2013 at 12:04 am

It would be hard to tell without a publisher. Also, missing a page may deem worthless. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel May 1, 2013 at 2:20 am

I also have The Golden Dawn by Rev J H Potts. The copyright is 1883. I am wondering what the worth of this book is. The book itself is in fair to good condition. Could you please give me an estimate on what the worth of this book may be? I know it wont be exactly accurate but any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rachel

Admin May 1, 2013 at 11:59 pm

About $30

Sherri June 24, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I have a Great Expectations book published by Rinehart Editions copyright 1948, by Earl Davis with a signature that may be the authors. Is there any way to find the value?

Admin June 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

Paperback is quite common and inexpensive.

rick richter June 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I found a box of charles dickens.Great expectations and others
that are bound loosly with no date and are not cut fully to be able to be read.
i believe that they were printed and pasted and were never read.Like the bottom is uneven and roughHard cover but really old with i believe leather red cover6x 8 inches.What fid i Find?
RICK

Jacob Mohr July 3, 2013 at 12:27 am

I have a 13 volume set of Dickens’ Works from 1868, globe edition. (I believe the latter releases feature a 14th book once Edwin Drood came out) I know they released three other editions and that the Globe Edition was the most affordable at the time, however, I can find very little additional information. Any idea of value or a good resource on the books?
Thank you very much!

Heather Curran February 25, 2014 at 5:14 am

I have a copy of Great Expectations with a reprint date of 1936… publisher is either J. M. Dent & Sons London which is listed first or E. P. Dutton & Co. New York… it is a little red hard cover novel that was part of the Everyman’s Library set. The back page also says “Made at the Temple Press Letchworth, Great Britain.” The binding is faded, but overall the book is in good shape. How much would this be worth? And how do you tell which was the publisher? I am confused by the three places listed, generally it is the first publisher listed, corrrect?

Admin March 4, 2014 at 1:06 am

J. M. Dent & Sons published Everyman’s Library starting in 1906 with a total of 152 titles. Some of these titles are impressive, collectible volumes such as the 1933 “The Pilgrim’s Regress: An Allegorical Apology for Christianity Reason and Romanticism” by C.S. Lewis. Due to the success of the Everyman’s Library, Dent built the Temple Press in order meet the increased demand. In 1906, E.P. Dutton made a deal with English J. M. Dent to be the American distributor of the Everyman’s Library series of these classic reprints. What you have is the American edition of the Dent reprint. The “original” 1936 reprint is still worth a few hundred dollars depending on condition.

Laurie M March 23, 2014 at 1:12 am

Hi. I am holding a Globe Edition of Oliver Twist — Great Expectations. Hurd & Houghton, 1867 is prominently displayed, and it seems in fairly good condition (a little wear at the top and bottom of spine, exterior edge of pages shows some discoloration which looks like dust). I bought it in an antique book store for a dollar, and was wondering what its approximate value might be. Thanks, L.

Admin March 23, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Dickens Globe Edition volumes are valued around $10. Oliver Twist however, is quite scarce and should be worth a bit more.

Kerry June 4, 2014 at 2:20 am

I have a hard cover of Great Expectations – Charles Dickens “The Book League of America” New York. How much is this worth. It is in good condition..

Admin June 4, 2014 at 9:33 pm

The Book League of America established in 1930, printed and published contemporary and classic books. Primarily a mail order book sales club was ultimately sold to Doubleday in 1935. Book Club Editions are not usually considered to be valuable.

Laura June 22, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Hello, we have Charles Dickens Great Expectations 1st edition by New York Book Company, 1909. Do you have any knowledge as to the value?

Debbie June 25, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I have many volumes of the Charles dickens , but wonder if there is a list somewhere so I can figure which ones I’m missing. Household edition with marbling bound in red not the green or tan that I see everywhere. Different dates around 1870 and before.

Pat Sterling July 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I’ve located Great Expectations and Little Dorrit. Both books are green cloth with a gold embossing of Charles Dickens on the front of the book. Its dated 1860, which is spelled out in words. The books also have an explanation from the American publisher stating the books were published simultaneously in America and Europe (or whatever foreign country its in). The statement also lists how much Charles Dickens was paid – I think is was £1,000 in gold and silver.

Does this sound familiar?

Thanks

Ms. Pat Sterling

Andrea Bells August 31, 2014 at 3:50 am

My mom has a set of five Charles Dickens books.they are burgundy books with gold print on the side. She has Bleak House, little dorrit ,our mutual friend, and dombey and son to name a few. We are trying to find the value.

jsimmons October 13, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I wonder what an 1867 11 book set is valued at. Good condition. Illustrated. They have been in the family for generations…I believe original owners.

Admin October 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm

It all depends on the 11 books you are referring to.

Margaret November 10, 2014 at 9:11 am

I have a copy of Christmas Stories by Dickens and Collins Publisher: Belford, Clarke & Company Green boards, “Claxton Edition- May blessings be upon the head of Cadmus, the Phoeinicians, or whoever it was that invented books” embossed on front cover along w/ other elaborate embossing, gilt block on spine saying “Christmas Stories, Dickens”, w/ no mention of Collins. Book has “No Thoroughfare” by Collins and “The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices”. No copywrite page, 1860 according to Harvard U. Library. Good condition for age. Only found 1 store in US w/a copy. What do you say it’s worth?

Admin November 12, 2014 at 2:03 am

Could it be the 14th volume from Dickens Works published by Belford, Clarke & Co. in Chicago from 1875 to 1892; derived from the “Caxton edition” of Dickens’s works, first published by J.B. Alden in 1883?

Rob November 16, 2014 at 12:22 am

I have a 1909 Charles Dickens Great Expectations book published by the New York Book Company. It is in fair to good condition and I am curious what it is worth. It is a volume 1.

Admin November 22, 2014 at 7:18 pm

The complete set could be worth around $50.

Pamela Brodman November 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I have a leather bound hard cover of Charles Dicken’s Great Expectations 1867 Chapman and Hall print. I was wondering how rare it is and what its value would be today?

Admin November 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Your volume is worth a few hundred dollars at least.

Michael December 29, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I have been given a copy of Great Expectations, Caxton Edition.
Can’t find publishing date.
With illustrations by F.A. Fraser
Belford, Clarke & Co. Publishers
Brown in color with gold embossed title and author on spine.
Any idea what I have and its value ?

Dave Roe March 21, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi I have 14 books by Dickens including Life of Dickens by Frederic G Kitton published by Caxton Publishing. Could these be of any value. C Roe

Jennifer April 15, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Hi! I have a partial set of the original illustrated Library Edition set of Charles Dickens. These are published by Chapman and Hall, London, with a note “printed by William Clowes and Sons Limited, Duke Street, Stanford Street, S.E., and Great Windmill St , W.” The one I pulled out is Great Expectations. It is illustrated by Marcus Stone, 560 pages, with a inked date of 1918. This is hardcover with a green cloth binding, gilded print and black designs. Do you have any idea of it’s worth? Thank you for your website, it is very informative.

John April 25, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I have a hard back book of Oliver Twist from 1839 is it worth anything

charles dickens May 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Hello, I have a Copy of an authors edition of ” A Child’s History in England”. And I believe it was published by, PORTER & COATES, from Philadelphia. It is a hard cover but, I cannot find anything about this book? Can someone help me out. Thanks for your time..

Mike May 31, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Hello
I have recently acquired 13 volumes of Charles Dickens books.
They are hard cover bound in green with gold letters.
On the spine it says The works of Charles dickens Household edition.
illustrated by Darley and Gilbert.
on the outside cover it has a gold circle with CD IN IT AND BOZ FADED BEHIND THAT.
INSIDE COVER reads
new york
james g gregory publisher
46 walker st
1861

I have Great expectations Volume 1 and 2
Curiosity shop 1, 2 and 3
Nicholas Nickelby 1, 2 , 3 and 4
Pickwick papers 1,2,3 and 4
all in fair to good condition.
I was told these were a first edition but cannot verify.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Mike Chowns

Lou Gavin June 12, 2015 at 6:12 am

Hi, I have five Dickens books that were published in 1871 by James R Osgood and company Boston and was wondering how much they’d be worth? They are in pretty poor condition.

Cheers,

Lou

Admin June 14, 2015 at 7:33 pm

James R. Osgood publishers was formed in 1870 and dissolved in 1878. Before their successful publications of Bret Harte’s “The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Stories” and his “poems and condensed novels,” they republished some of Dickens’s works. The poor condition of the volumes you are describing may deem worthless.

Mike June 18, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Any advice or value on mine?

Mike Chowns

Admin June 21, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Nice set. $500-$1000

L Tempet July 28, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hello
I wonder if you can help.
I have 13 volumes of Charles Dickens published by Porter and Coates Philadelphia.
They are calf bound with some red marbling on the front and back and red marbled inside covers. They include the volume The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
Do you have any idea of their worth please?
Many thanks

Bob August 5, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I have a 54 book set of Dickens. All 1860’s. Hurd and Houghton Publisher. Riverside Press.
Any idea of value? Thanks, Bob

Gigi November 23, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I am in possession of several collections of books from the lates 1800s. Charles Dickens, 168 of 500, Cruikshank edition, among them. I am a serious seller and would like to connect with someone who could help me sell them.

R.J. Sanders September 12, 2015 at 2:48 am

I have a excellent condition…1909 Volume II of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Published by New York Book Company. Could you tell me its value and how I can find Volume I ?

Thank you, any information would be appreciated.

Admin September 13, 2015 at 12:44 am

Too scarce to locate, too many substitutes to inflate price.
Sorry you are in a lose-lose situation.

Hugo October 7, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I have a set of 16 books I think a full set red covers and spine with gilt tooling in spine I get the feeling they could be as late as 1960 Hazell Watson and Viney London illustrations by Marcus stone nice condition any value am I right a out their age being modern? Thanks

Henry September 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I have a caxton edition hard cover personalized as a Christmas gift in 1888. of Tale of Two Cities. It is a beautiful book I don’t expect it to be worth much but what is it worth?

Richard September 22, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Hi, A relative has The Complete works of Charles Dickens, Published 1906 Chapman Hall, with Red spine and Dark Green hard cover, 21 volumes of which I think there are 40 books (ie some volumes have more than one book in them). They are in a fairly good condition. We were just wondering as to what the value might be as my research has turned up anything from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand so I’m a little confused. Can you help with an idea? Thanks

April September 29, 2015 at 3:40 am

I have a 1936 copy of Charles Dicken’s. David Copper field published by the McMillan Company, is there any value? In fair condition.

Romona October 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I have four Charles Dickens books and would like to know what they are worth:

1. Great Expectations – Cartleton’s illustrated edition – 1874
2. Barnaby Rudge – Carleton’s illustrated edition – 1873
3. Uncommercial and Short Stories 0 Carleton’s illustrated edition – 1874
4. Dombey and Son – Carleton’s illustrated edition – 1874

Admin November 1, 2015 at 2:13 am

The complete 20 volume set of Carleton’s new illustrated edition is valued at less than $500.

Amy October 28, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Hi I have a set of 20 Charles Dickens books published by Chapman & Hall Ltd and printed by William Clows and Sons Ltd London and Beccles. There is no publication date. There is one picture at the front of each book. Along with the collection there is also another book called The Childhood and Youth of Dickens by Robert Langton from 1912. All books are in good condition.

I wondered if you could indicate how much these might be worth.

Admin November 1, 2015 at 1:47 am

It may be the Biographical edition that was printed 1903-1908 by William Clowes and Sons, London and Beccles.
It is quite scarce.

john November 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm

i have a famous fiction libray volume 1 great expectations book with 180 pages n.y.b.c. 1909. by charles dickens . There is no copywrite date no publisher name no editor name,and i can not find it anywhere. but i see a volume 2 same book but has 360 pages.i need to know

Zoey December 14, 2015 at 11:19 am

Hi!

I have a Charles Dickens collection of 18 red hard cover books. On the front the title (in black) is in the left hand top corner with ‘Dickens’ underneath the title. There is no proper publication information in the books, no date nothing, just at the end of every book at the bottom it states William Clowes and Sons limited, London and Beccles. And in the beginning it states London: Chapman & Hall, Ld. When could this possibly have been published and what could the worth of it possibly be ?

Bob December 19, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Any idea of value? Thanks, Bob

Kara January 7, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I own a hardback copy of Great Expectations by Dickens. It’s in good condition without a copyright date and the front page has THE MERSHON COMPANY at the bottom and underneath that it has Rahway, NJ New York. on the inside cover someone wrote “Hazel H. Williams Aug 19,1905. Do you know the value of this book?

Dr. Ron January 9, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Kara your book is extremely valuable. Not only is it rare to have a book without the copyright date printed, given the date that you had implied above, it is very valuable and could be sold from $400-$1500 given the condition it is held in, such as no ripped pages and the spine in fine to brand new condition.

Simon muscat January 16, 2016 at 1:26 am

Hi. I have 3 vols of great expectations 1861 .
Which vol 2 have 3rd edition printed on title page and other vols have nothing.. they are in the violet blue cloth . Pages are all in a very.good condition. Covers are faded. And.one cover haf been split from the book. Also label.of the librarian is on cover. . Can you tell me what they worth please?. Thanks.

Jeremy Parrott August 10, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Hi Simon
Most copies of early editions of Great Expectations went to circulating libraries. I guess yours says W.H. Smith or Mudie’s Library on the labels. It is a mixed set but still of serious value, though condition is everything with books like this. If you still have the set and are interested in selling I would be prepared to make you a realistic offer.

Luke conway December 23, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Luke conway December 23, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Mine are all 1861 first impression . Jeremy

Jeremy Parrott December 27, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Hi Luke
The first impression was of 1,000 sets, although all five impressions were actually made at the same time – the later impression slugs were added to look like the publishers were doing a roaring trade. If the books are in the original purple cloth and in decent shape then they are worth serious money. Quite how much could only be determined by inspection.

Luke January 29, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Yes they have the original purple cloth . Have had some restoration on them but therein reasonable condition . Please text me to discuss further 07873827848

Luke conway December 23, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Hello I have some too would you be able to help shed some information on them for me please? All 1861 first impression

Kurtis February 4, 2016 at 2:09 am

I found a great expectations book at my great grandparents house it has no copyright date it’s a hardback and says THE MERSHON COMPANY RAHWAY, N.J. NEW YORK the book looks like it was never open mint condition any idea on year and value

Bobbie February 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I have two books by Charles Dickens
Great Expectations-Centennial Edition
Distributed by Heron Books
Production of- Edito-Service S. A. Geneva
David Copperfield 11
Same information
I was just wandering their value …..if any???

Jacqueline April 19, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Could you advise as to a value on a couple of books?
1) Dicken’s Works. Illustrated. Two Cities & Great Expectations with original illustrations by S. Eytinge, Jr. Boston: Ticknor and Fields 1867

2) The Oregon Trail. The Works of Francis Parkman. Bolume XII 1892

3)Ann & Jane Taylor’s Poetry for Children. Illustrated. I am not seeing a date. States, published separately, in foolscape evo, clith guilt. One shilling each volume.
London: Ward, Lock & Tyler, Warwick House, Paternoster Row, E.C.
4) The Poetical Wirks of Alexander Pope with life. Engravings on steel. Gall & Inglis. Edinburgh: Bernard Terrace. London: 25 Paternoster Sq;;

alan perahia April 20, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I have a copy of Great Expectations in poor condition but complete. The publisher is Collins clear-type press London and glasgow no serial number or a date. The firest page just has the title and the back says manufactured in Great Britain. Artwork by Harry Furries.
Any idea of value?
Alan

craig cere April 26, 2016 at 7:28 pm

i have a book from 1896 by charles dickens called barnaby rudge is there any value. ty

craig cere April 26, 2016 at 7:30 pm

a tale of riots eighty by charles dickens not barnaby rudge sry.

Gary April 28, 2016 at 2:54 am

I have a 15 volume set of Charles Dickens published by The Mershon Company
Rahway NJ New York

Any idea the value?
Or an antique book dealer in Texas I can take them to for appraisal?

Denise Woods May 14, 2016 at 12:46 am

Good morning,

I have the following books that I am researching their value:

The Works of Charles Dickens Illustrated by Darley & Gilbert Great Expectations I & II. It is a green hard cover book with gold writing, BOZ is in a circle on the front cover along with C.D. It is a household Edition and published in NY by James G. Gregory 46 Walker Street 1861 (both books in excellent condition)

the second series is Mutual Friend I-IV also in th green hard cover with the gold and published NY Hurd & Houghton 1866

All books have what looks like a piece of tissue paper covering a scene in the book with the page number that it is located with.

Any help would be appreciated.
Denise

Fiona Bagley June 10, 2016 at 1:29 am

Good evening,

I have the Caxton Popular Illustrated Edition complete works of Charles Dickens. There are no dates anywhere in the books. I am guessing they are late 1800’s? There are 15 books in the set. I was wondering if you might know something about this edition? It has a printed flyer inside that says the set was originally $37.50 or $22.50 in a ‘ neat paper box’ : )

Avery June 14, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Hi,
I have a hardcover of Our Mutual Friend Volume II published in 1911 and hardcove of Great Expectations published by the Book League of America, two different hardcoverw of Robinson Crusoe, one published by The Heritage Press and the other published by Grosset & Dunlap, and finally a hardcover of Anna Karenina split in two volumes published in 1939 by Random House. I was wondering if you could offer any insight into the value of each of these.
All in good condition.
Thank you for your time!
Avery

sandra gunn June 19, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I bought a set of dickens volume 30. Missing four books, they don’t have publishing dates…..why is this. These are burgandy hardbacks with the bust of who I assume to be dickens embedded on the front of the books. I know that he published in the weekly pickwick before actually publishing a book. Please help me value these books.

Debbie June 27, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I have 16 volumes of American Classic books, short stories, poems by different authors. I believe the books are reprints and possibly were purchased through a book club. The Title and Author page also include “The Book League of America” New York. There are no dates included on any page. The books are black with silver title and author on the spine. An example of one book is Adventures of Oliver Twist, Dickens.
Is there any value to these books.

Debbie Mason July 19, 2016 at 4:44 am

Hi All, I have a red book that has the title Great Expectations by Charles Dickens..in between the pages where the drawings are there is a fine piece of paper in between pages. I found this book in amongst some old books at a garage sale and always had the feeling to keep it.
Can you give me any information on this please

Kirsten July 23, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I have a copy of Great Expectations that does not have the page that usually shows the print year inside. It’s not that he page is missing, just that it isn’t there at all. The only info in the book is that is says “printed in the USA”. It is a black hardback with gold print on the binding. How can I find out what year the boom might be from and possibly it’s worth? Thanks for your help!

Talyn Baker August 13, 2016 at 8:39 am

I bought a Greats Expectations and Hard Times book by Charles Dickens. The date on the inside says 1904 and was wondering how much it would be worth?

Elisabeth Tetlow September 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

My grandmother left me 7 volumes of the Porter & Coates edition, which has the misplaced apostrophe (Dicken’s Works). Any idea of value? They are in pretty good shape. No pub date. When were they published?
Dombey and Son
Our Mutual Friend
Little Dorreit
Martin Chuzzlewit
Mystery of Edwin Drood
Oliver Twist
Old Curiosity Shop
Thanks! Elisabeth Tetlow

Nick King October 12, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Nick King I Have this Book That is Starting To Fall Apart, Called GREAT EXPECTATIONS The Outside Cover Says — THE CHARLES DICKENS EDITION —- Inside Someone Had Signed The Book, Under The Name It Says — LONDON – CHAPMAN & HALL, 193, PICCADILLY, 1868 I Would Like To Know If This Book Has Any Value. Thank You

Dave Clark October 30, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Your explanation and the letters of others and your responses are most informative. What might these books be worth?
The Works of Charles Dickens, The Pocket Volume Edition
Chapman and Hall, London, 1880
Burgundy with tan corners, gold embossed
R. Clay, Sons. And Taylor, Bread Street Hill
In the Preface, the author remarks on the original Preface.
Thank you.

Keith Wright November 17, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Hi I have a slim volume of Great Expectations published by Chapman and Hall. It is bound in green with Charles Dickens signature embossed in gold on the front cover.
No date inside. There is a drawing in the first pages entitled ‘lecturing in capital’.
The final page says ‘ printed by William Clowes and sons limited, London and Beccles. ‘
Can anyone advise on its rarity or value if any?
Thanks.

terri Larson December 12, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I found a fist edition The Works of Charles Dickens Volume 1 1880. Do you know an approximate value?

Sarah December 16, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Hi ya , I’ve just purchased 16 blue bound complete works of Charles Dickens illustrated books 1910 in a fitted oak bookcase for just £ 25.00 , the books are in amazing condition but the bookcase has a chip of wood missing at the top how much do you think it’s worth .

Thank you.

Leila December 26, 2016 at 11:26 am

Hi I have a copy of great expectations chapman and hall hard cover it has the something written on the front cover but I can’t make it out as it’s in heavy cursive. Any idea of the age and or price?? Please?

Z mumby January 6, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I have a hardback copy of the pickwick papers (vol 1 and 11) that was given as a prize in 1905. Do these old books have Dickens’ signature printed in them? There isn’t a date of publication on it and it was published by James Askew & son Corporation st
Thanks

Rae Ann January 16, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I have a copy of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens with an introduction by G.K. Chesterton 1907 printed 1909 London and New York. IT is the Everyman’s Library edition. . I am wondering its value. The cover is not in the best condition. But interior is in mint condition.

rodney cobb February 21, 2017 at 12:54 am

Hello, I have a Dickens hard back publish year 1881. It is a Globe Edition published by Houghton, Mifflin&Company. The title of the book is “The Old curiosity Shop”. Volume 1-2 and 3. No pages missing, slightly worn(1881)but in over all pretty good condition. Is it worth anything? Or should I just read it and put it back in the drawer? Thanks.